Monday, December 27, 2010

A Not so Little "Crack" in the Veneer


So we had a dee-lightful Christmas.


A fun present scavenger hunt that included all of us in our pj's heading down the street as Jake used a GPS to locate a gift hidden in the mailbox. A rare but toasty use of the fireplace. My eating everything in the house that wasn't nailed down. The four of us playing a board game without Molly freaking out and upsetting the board. Bonus: I won!

Good times.

By Sunday I reflected on other small victories:

1. We survived the Christmas Eve Nativity play that Tom and I forced our budding thespians to take part in. They felt they were "above" being in a production (Hello! It's a worship service!) with such "young" children.

Oy vey.

After it was over, Joseph, AKA Jake, handed me his balled-up costume stating, "I'm glad the worst mistake of my life is over with..." May it be so, young one. May it be so.

2. I managed to serve Communion at the 10:30 pm service without a) falling asleep b) spilling on anyone.

3. We made it to church again on the 26th, were even early, and my hair wasn't wet! I felt pretty full of myself knowing that I'd managed to get the family to multiple church services in the span of just 2 days, and from the looks of our not-very-packed sanctuary, I know that was no small feat.

My smugness dissipated as soon as we left the building and I felt a blast of frigid air hit my nether-regions. Yeah, my "new-to-me" suede skirt was completely unzipped. By the time we reached the crosswalk, it had slid almost completely off.

And I thought all of those friendly greetings were just standard Christmas cheer.

15 comments:

Christy said...

Oh Anna, that is so funny! I'm glad you had a good Christmas, and I hope your New Years is equally full of blog fodder!

Ellen aka Ellie said...

I'm envious you have a veneer to crack!

Your husband's new year resolution should be to constantly check you out and repair/camouflage when needed...

;)

Amanda said...

Anna, you make me laugh almost every day. I love that you have such a good sense of humor about life. Good to hear your family had a lovely Christmas.

Anonymous said...

I wondered where that title was going. Hoo boy. Priceless!

Congrats on what sounds like a very busy, very merry Christmas.

jbhat

Heidi said...

Haha!!! Hilarious!

Happy to hear you had a good Christmas.

kim jackson said...

no wonder you looked so happy up in the balcony!

i love you, my cherished friend....

Nichole@40daysof said...

Anna,
Thanks for the belly laugh! And thanks for the book suggestion. It was cold and rainy when we got home yesterday afternoon and I needed a book. So I went and got it!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

That sounds like something that would happen to me! Looking forward to FINALLY getting together in 2011.

Ellen aka Ellie said...

Thanks for many laughs in 2010, and here's to more in 2011. I always appreciate your candor.

Cat@BudgetBlonde said...

Bahahaha Anna you are hysterical! So glad yall had a merry....and somewhat breezy Christmas :)))

Marinka said...

lol, I read that you managed to serve Communism.

Mrs4444 said...

You're funny :) I'm impressed! There is no way I would have gone to mass two days in a row.

dearheart said...

Merry belated Christmas, Anna, and Happy New Year. Can't wait to see what you unveil for us in 2011! (:

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

Too funny! Hope you have a great new year!

Tricia said...

Regarding the comment "worst mistake of my life"...
When our daughter was 7 years old, we were camping, relaxing around the campfire. All of a sudden, she pipes up "7years of misery. My life has been miserable". We were shocked. We have always worked hard to provide a stable home, friends over to visit, toys, stay at home mom, everything most kids want. And she thinks it has been miserable. Later she told me it was because she didn't want to sit around the campfire. She was tired and wanted to go to bed.
Now, she is 17 and we tease her that she has no idea what misery is, but we as parents of teens do.
Very funny blog. Keep up the good work.