Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Too Little Information?

Jake is fascinated with movie ratings right now. He is astounded and appalled that some parents let their kids watch PG-13 movies before they are 13. This is one of those cases when I am glad my kid is a rigid rule follower. Definitely helps with movie and video game monitoring.

He is pretty curious about what earns films their ratings and has a good idea about PG-13, but is less clear on R and the other one (that I am afraid to type here b/c I don't want to come up on anyone's weird Google searches).

He couldn’t understand why mom and dad might even want to watch an R movie, so I explained to him that although there might be some foul language and violence in a movie, the rating is probably because the themes presented relate more to an adult’s life than a child’s. In fact, a child would probably find it boring. Whew.

I have no idea how he learned that the other rating exists-- probably at the lunch table-- but he is equally curious.

“Mom, what is in a (letter after W) movie?”

“I’m not quite sure, honey, because I’ve never seen one.”

“Well, is it violent?”

“I guess so.”

“Is there a lot of cussing?”

“I bet there is.”

“So mom, those movies have people running around killing each other and cussing?”

“Yes, Jake, I think you’ve got it.”

“……”

“Um, Jake, I think there might also be some nudity.”

“So it’s naked people running around cussing and killing each other?”

“Yes, Jake, I believe it is.”

5 comments:

Shana said...

Yo, Jake, my kind of movie!

>>“So it’s naked people running around cussing and killing each other?”

Kate Coveny Hood said...

That is so funny. I totally laughed out loud!

Madge said...

my son is just like that about following the rules. he thinks he's going to have to stop playing with certain Lego sets when he hits 12.....

Amy in Ohio said...

LOL!

Thank goodness - now I can cross that off my list of things to do!

Naked people cussing and killing each other, blah!

Karen said...

Ha ha! Is that an accidental euphemism or have I been watching the wrong ones all these years?