Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Rare Bird: Part 1,365,212


Via email and this blog, so many people have shared neat stories about Jack and God. These stories continue to amaze me, lift me up, and convince me that while I miss him more than I could ever imagine, Jack is doing just fine. Some I have shared, and some I have put in my pocket and kept to myself to pull out when I need them the most. Maybe I worry that if I share everything you'll think I'm grasping, unstable, and losing my shit. But then I think, well, maybe some of these happenings aren't just for me, that they can have meaning for others as well.

Remember the blog reader who snapped an astounding picture featuring Jack's Bible verse in South Africa? That message surely could impact more than just my little family, right?

What about the comment Luv2Run left about praying for us as she ran on the bike path and having a bird fly right the heck into her? Sounds super scary to me, but she insists it was rather cool. I am assuming that having a bird fly into her had to have some sort of... well... impact on her...just as her story did on me.

What about the friend who felt compelled to write a poem about Jack entitled, "Rara Avis" or "Rare Bird," and another friend who had been hearing those very same words in association with Jack almost daily and was given an overwhelming sense of peace about where Jack is?

Others have shared dreams, visions, nudges, songs and other signs that point them toward God, or at the very least to a sense of "there is more, more, more going on here than we ever imagined, and it is more than okay." Coincidences, signs, "God-winks," the work of a very clever soul who knows how to delight-- they just keep coming. Whatever you want to call them, I am grateful for your taking the time to share them with me, and I hope it's beneficial for me to share some with you.

Well, I have another story for you today, sent last night by a reader:

*****
Hi Anna,

I have been a silent reader of your blog since I was directed from "Motherhood in NYC" to visit in a time when thoughts and prayers were desperately needed. Your writing has kept me coming back to hear more about your wonderful Jack and your family (I also jumped on the Bieber bandwagon and was so happy to hear that Margaret got to see that dream come true!). Anyway, I wanted to a story with you.

My boyfriend and I went up to Door County, WI a couple of weekends ago for a short getaway. Following the advice of our waiter of must-see scenic areas, we wound up driving around a fairly secluded wooded area (Ellison Bluff County Park) and walking around the look out over the lake.

At one point while we were driving, I couldn't help but think of your family and become a little sad, as this setting was similar to pictures you've posted. Right at that moment, something caught my eye... a tree with a bright blue ribbon tied around it; it took a moment to sink in, and then it just made me smile. On our way back from the lookout, I had my boyfriend pull over so I could take a photo, in hopes that sharing this story might be one more small bit of encouragement to your family.

Maybe I'm digging here, but the story continues... I was walking back to the car after taking some pictures of the ribbon/tree when another car that had been stopped a few hundred feet behind us pulled up next to me and rolled down their window "Did you get it?!?! That was incredible!" I had no clue what they were talking about, why on earth would they be as excited about a blue ribbon as I was?

"Get what?" I asked. "The eagle! That's what we were watching, there was an eagle right above you in the tree over there" pointing to a tree about 40 feet from where I had been taking the pictures. I couldn't believe I missed it, what a great photo opportunity that would have been. We all laughed it off that I somehow missed an eagle while I was taking pictures of a tree trunk and I hopped in our car. My boyfriend asked what the couple had said to me, so I told him, and as I was recapping our conversation, it hit me... an eagle! A rare bird indeed.

I have attached a photo of the ribbon on the tree; unfortunately, I missed the eagle so I can't share that :)

I am constantly praying for you and your family. Per your last post, do what you need to do, your silence is just as powerful as your words...

****
Wow! I love this. Missing a "rare bird" while taking a picture for me because of my "rare bird."

And, uh, just wait until you see what I've got for you tomorrow, or later today if I just can't wait.

50 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you are back - we've missed you. Praying extra hard as the 18th inches closer. Wish we could be with you on Sunday, but you will be in our hearts and prayers.

Mrs Changstein said...

Wow - just incredible. Love how God is showing His care for you in these times & encouraging you through all of us who are so encouraged by you. Praying all the time. Sounds sorta stalker-ish, doesn't it? Oh well, stalking you in prayer, and comfortable with it.
Cindy

Unknown said...

Ah, Anna. The ribbon looks like it's holding the tree together, like a big, strong hug. I think it's Jack indeed ...

Unknown said...

Cooooool!!! Share, share share away.

Love you

Meredith Self said...

Beautiful. So beautiful. So inspiring. So ever present is Jack's love, your love, God's love, love, Love.

I will be offline for a week...I will check your blog though. Just want to be close.

Praying for so much peace this week and weekend.

Meredith Self said...

PS. LOVE the title of your post! Looking like that number is going to be infinity....

Ellen aka Ellie said...

This touched my heart, deeply.

K A B L O O E Y said...

I'm in the post away camp; it does help us all, of that I'm sure. And it brings us closer to you and your family, at least virtually. Don't you think those getting all these signs are more open to noticing them because they're thinking of Jack? And at least for me, am living more mindfully (and gratefully) these days because of his example? Can't wait to see what the next post is... and congrats on LTYM.

Lisa said...

AMAZING

fiwa said...

Please keep sharing the stories. I love them. Hearing them lifts me up. This is Jack's work - share it.

Mimi said...

Wow that is an awesome story and an incredible picture of Jack. I agree either that you write or don't write as it strikes you. In your silence I have been praying for you even more.
Xoxo

Anonymous said...

Ditto on noticing them because we are thinking of Jack. I was driving the other day, thinking about you and your family and Jack. And I randomly looked up at a sign, and I forget the company, but the name underneath...'Jack'. I smiled.

ella said...

Dammit, that poem gets me every single time.

Love you, Anna.

Brenda said...

I need to send you a picture of the shirt Isabelle was wearing the first day I met you...I just have to find the shirt first. She outgrew it but kept trying to wear it so I hid it somewhere safe, so safe that I don't know where it is. Anyway, I think you'll like it!
Brenda

Shannon said...

Amazing.. Just as I was reading this during my lunch break on my iPhone.. A tiny bird feather blew through my open window and landed on my screen and onto Jack's handsome face..... If that's not a sign I don't know what is.

luv2run said...

Thank you for sharing Anna, you post mean the world to me!

luv2run

Anonymous said...

Love you, Anna....thank you again for sharing your heart and life.

For what it's worth - I don't think any of it would make me think you "unstable", but rather "faithful". Believing in what you cannot physically see - that's faith, and ultimately its our faith in God, whom we cannot see, that allows us this hope. Not a foolish hope - a real hope. No, you're not "unstable" for recognizing these glimpses for what they are. (If you are, then all of us who have a deep, solid faith are unstable right along with you...)

hugs, and prayers...
Lisa G.

Lisa said...

Wow! What an amazing story...so wonderful.

NanaDiana said...

I live very close to the area your friend posted about. We live next to a place called The Eagle's Nest. Door County is such a beautiful place and I do believe there is a bit of spirit about that place like none other in Wisconsin. I am so happy that she was able to share a moment of that with you. xo Diana

Christie said...

Anna,

I'm here via the Well-Trained Mind forums and your sweet friend who told everyone there about Jack.

I've read many of your posts, and am moved to tears each time. Jack is a beautiful boy, and each story you tell of him reveals his heart and personality and your great love for him. I'm so sorry.

I don't have any bird stories of my own, but my brother had several amazing bird experiences after the death of my grandmother, and while he was thinking of her. I really believe God sends special messages through his creation.

Christy said...

Wow. That's incredible. Hugs and prayers dear Anna. Hugs and prayers!

Gina said...

Anna,

So glad you are being encouraged and lifted up. I know this month has to be especially difficult and I prayed for you hard on the 8th and will keep you in prayer on the 18th. I think about you everyday and even my 7 1/2 year old daughter and I talk about your family and Jack. Her older sister passed away before she was born and we sometimes wonder if she and Jack have met. There is a strange dichotomy to death. Heaven is a real place. Jack is more than ok, he is deliriously happy, full of peace and joy and is being loved on by his grandmother who he didn't get a chance to meet on earth. Yet, the ones left without him are left with gaping wounds and heavy, greaving hearts. My prayer is that little by little your grief will start lifting and fullness of joy will rest on you and your precious family.

Salvimom said...

Anna,

I was moved to tears yet again by your lovely expression of your feelings. I have so much mommy-empathy its ready to burst out of my chest and I have to keep my tears in check before they become sobs at my office. At any rate, you strong lady you, just keep on pushing through, and acknowledging without fear all of the beauty that God is showing you (and us) because of your darling boy. You are prayed for, cared for, and loved regardless of whether you put your fingers on the keyboard or not. Continuously prayerful for you and your family.

Ury
Seattle, WA

Leah C said...

That gave me chills...so glad she shared that story with you so you could share it with all of us:) As always, hugs & prayers, dear Anna...

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I loved seeing you today! Of course I didn't see this until later... Keep those stories coming. There could never be too many!

Marinka said...

Wow, what a story. The connections are incredible.

Syvil said...

What an amazing story :) I have goose bumps!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad this reader took the time to share her story with you, and that you shared it with us.

I think that someone tied that ribbon there for Jack, don't you? They just didn't say they did.

love,
jbhat

Lesley T. said...

Thank you for sharing everything that you do with us. It's an honor.

Anonymous said...

I was just talking with my co-worker whose (adult) son passed away last week. He really liked ravens. She left food out for them (as they usually did) and none came. The next day, the food was still there and one raven was in the tree squawking at her. A sign I think.

Anonymous said...

So glad you seem to be feeling somewhat better, Anna. Thanks for letting us know.

-- Joan in PA

Mrs. P Vega said...

absolutely beautiful. that story gave me chills.

Cassie Bustamante said...

i just love these stories. they always tell me what i already know- that God is watching us, God is watching and loving you and taking care of Jack, but they still amaze me every time.

Dani from NC said...

Your stories bring me comfort. Please keep sharing. Praying for yall. xoxo

Claire Plante said...

Thanks for sharing these incredible stories. They are so beautiful and amazing. I used to live in Wisconsin and spent a lot of time in Door County - a very sacred place indeed.

I can't wait to hear the next story!

Love and hugs and always praying for you,

Claire P.

Cathy said...

LOVE THIS! HUGS!

DawnGes said...

Dear Anna,
Somehow I'm picturing blue ribbons tied around trees all over the world. What a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing your rare bird with us.

Much love, many prayers...

IrishRN07 said...

So relieved to see a post! Of course we all understand when you don't write, but are oh-so relieved when you do! Please know that so many are thinking of you, praying for you and have been moved beyond measure by your faith and your family. I have recently started taking walks around my new neighborhood. I already know the people I want to meet - the ones with the blue ribbons on their mailboxes!
-Maureen

Amy said...

Each time you post about one of these, I say a little prayer of thanks that your faith is strong enough to know that these are not coincidences. I'm so, so glad that you're open to seeing all the signs that Jack + God are sending you. And love it when you share them. Praying for all of you an extra lot this month.

Monami said...

Praying for you. I think of Jack and give my son an extra tight hug. I like reading through your earlier posts as you talk about "Jake" so that it feels like your beautiful child is right there with you and all is well and September never happened.

Donna said...

Its been 4 years and I still receive Godwinks...its such a comfort. I agree with Meredith, the title of your post says you will be receiving signs for an infinity! Can't wait for the next one!

Jenny said...

Anna I am clearly technologically impaired as try as I might I could not change my profile pic to a blue ribbon, which I very badly wanted to do. However I continue to think of you and your family OFTEN. Am sending prayers and hugs. I hope that you continue to be comforted by the signs and stories.... Wishing you peace today. Xoxo

Anonymous said...

The 18th March is Mother’s Day in the UK…you will always be Mama and Boy…no amount of space, time, distance in the world can change that. He’s watching for you, and waiting for you. I am thinking of all of you. xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Brough a tear, be strong it appers you have lots of followers praying and blessing you. Mary in NY

Princess Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Princess Kate said...

I know the blue ribbon tied around my front yard tree has been sparkling in the sunlight the last few days AND that's my sign and I cherish it.

Jill said...

Your stories are inspiring and I am glad that you share those that you choose to share.

Rach said...

Goosebumps. I have goosebumps. What a wonderful story for you to share with us.

I always worried folks would think I was reaching when I wanted to share a sign but then decided to heck with 'em, it was MY sign meant for ME and if they didn't believe it, too bad. :o)

Isn't it amazing just how many lives Jack has touched? He is simply...everywhere.

Many hugs and prayers for you and your family,
Rach

Anonymous said...

Strangely enough, I happened this morning to see an eagle for the first time in my 32 years. We were walking into my son's school mass and my son stopped dead in his tracks and yelled, "an eagle!". I stopped too, thinking immediately of Jack, for I had read this post just last night.

And there is was! Very majestic and powerful, soaring on the wind, oblivious to the rain, I though of that verse, "and he will raise you up as on the wings of an Eagle...". If your sweet Jack is soaring on the wings of an eagle today, I saw firsthand what a beautiful feeling that must be! Love a prayers to you.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Isn't that an amazing story. Just have to love the heavenly encounters. I know they are nothing compared to Jack being here with you but I believe that the little encounters give a little healing to your heart. We had an Eagle fly over when I was reading the 23rd Psalm, out on boat spreading my FIL ashes.