Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Blogging Under the Influence

So I'm blogging while on Valium. This particular situation may not be new to some of my bloggy friends, but for me it's a first. Feel free to weigh in on whether you prefer "Earl Grey and Skittles Anna" or "Valium Anna." Thanks.

So yesterday morning I was brushing my teeth. I looked at myself in the mirror and remembered something some wise (annoying) person once said, "Brushing my teeth while not doing squats would be a waste of time."

SOOO there I was, in my bra and underwear under the bright, unforgiving bathroom lights. Another year of non-exercise had passed, and May had somehow snuck up on me again. The pools open next week.

So, during the minute (not two!) I brushed my teeth, I leaned back for a few squats. Then, I got dressed for work and started packing lunches. As I leaned into the open fridge, I felt a pop in my lower, lower back. I could not straighten up my body and called my son for a chair. Pain was shooting up my right leg and I couldn't put any weight on it.

Yep, apparently leaning into the fridge is taxing on someone who has a) not exercised in years b) recently done squats while brushing her teeth.

I couldn't sit, couldn't stand, couldn't walk. You get the picture. Tom had to help me go to the bathroom, which was fun.

A trip to the doc landed me painkillers and Valium, which don't seem to take the edge off. Waaah.

Side note: I've been pushing for a TV in the bedroom. Tom is adamantly opposed because he thinks it will cut down on our already limited bedroom activity. I reasoned with him that sometimes it would just be nice to watch tv in bed. For instance, I told him it would be very helpful when I'm sick. "Like, how often does THAT happen?" he countered. Yes, this conversation took place 10 hours before my back went bye-bye.

Anyway, here I am, surrounded by crap that needs to get done, but I can't do it. Work, Shmurk. And the crazy May schedule of field trips and baseball parties and the like? Not gonna happen.

I did find out that I'll be selling stuff at a flea market in two weeks! Projects I wanted to do for that will have to be on hold, but I have a TON of cute accessories to sell.

If I can dress myself by then.


Below are just a few of the neat accessories I'll have at the sale:

















11 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I have lower back disc issues, and have thrown my back out. It's miserable! Hope it heals soon!

aliciamarie911 said...

I know back problems are the WORST! My back went out for two days at the end of my tail bone area...it hurt. I couldn't lay, walk, sit, or do anything without pain. I sure how your meds help you out a lot!

Anonymous said...

Eek! Even through your pain you are witty. Impressive!! That pain shooting from the lower back down the leg sensation has happened to me too. I think the pain will subside and you WILL become mobile again, but unfortunately, I don't think it's going to truly go away. If you can, maybe check in with a physical therapist to have them prescribe some stretches. That has helped me. If only I did them consistently.

jbhat

Ellen aka Ellie said...

My husband does not and has never had alcohol to drink, but when he's on pain medication, he's fuuuuuny.

Don't go to the flea market on Val. She'll allow you to be stolen blind...

Kelsey @ trialandstyle.com said...

I'm so sorry that you are in pain. However, the way you explained it made me laugh out loud - at work! And then I realized I am laughing at your pain, so I'm very sorry for that. Your under-the-influence post was just written so well :) Hope you feel better soon!

katie said...

honestly? the back is the worst part of the body to have pain. it limits EVERYTHING you do!?!

i am so sorry and hope heals soon!
just think of all of the new creations you'll be able to think up!

xxxx

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Will there be a "Nice Accent" table? E-mail me when/where. I want to come!

Sorry about your back. The TV dilemma made me laugh.

Nichole@40daysof said...

Well, crap! I hope you feel better soon and that you get to enjoy your flea market experience. I also hope the valium helps to erase the whole husband helping in the bathroom experience. ;)

Maggie S. said...

Followed you here from "Who Put Me In Charge"... If that is how you write on valium I gotta get some. I don't focus that well stone sober. My husband's back problems disappeared when we got a new mattress. Hope you are getting around per usual soon.

Julia said...

Ouch.

But you are an awesome writer on Valium...so maybe you aren't on a high enough dose. ha.

Give it a day or two then I suggest finding a chiropractor. Worked for me and I was very leery of them.

Hope you get that tv in the bedroom. xoxo, Julia

Heidi said...

Sorry about your back! How miserable. But, valium...that's kind-of nice.

We have a TV in our room which Scott hates, but I like. Like you said, sometimes you just want to watch TV in bed. All wrapped up in blankets. I hope you get one. And I hope you get better soon.