Tuesday, September 14, 2010

At Which Point I Stopped Weeping



Hi Peeps!

I want to let you know that my 3-week crying jag has ended and I'm feeling much better now. As for Molly's school situation, she is rocking the new school and has not even balked about the uniform. Adorable plaid skort? Check. Khaki shorts she would not have deigned to wear previously? Check.

She even sported a plain navy polo tucked into (!) khaki shorts today and panda bear earrings. Rather than writhe on the floor complaining about this drab outfit as any self-respecting 4th grade fashionista would do, she walked downstairs and said pleasantly, "Mom, do you think I look a little bit like a zookeeper today?"

I want to thank you for your prayers and your encouragement. I felt supported by you and still do. My husband and I are still having reservations about whether we made the right choice for her, so a flip-flop might be in order. Really. We're that psycho. But you know what? I'm pretty confident none of this will kill her. That is a vast improvement from the way I felt a week ago.

And a word of advice for those unable to sleep because you are worrying about your children:

Please do not try to solve your insomnia by watching the following on TV:
Dateline's hidden camera special about teens getting in cars with drunk friends.
World's Youngest Schizophrenic
The Kids with Incurable Diseases Special
Hoaders
Too Fat and 15

Trust me on this. Try a glass of wine instead.






13 comments:

for a different kind of girl said...

Your daughter has an electric smile. What a beauty!

I think the hardest part of our job as a parent is making the BIG decisions involving our children. It's hard not to wonder and second guess ourselves even when we know we've made the best one. I know this matter is still up in the air for your family, but I am happy to see you've find a bit of peace...even if it is just a bit...for now!

Brenda Susan said...

So glad to hear that things are getting better.She is so, so adorable!!
I would totally agree about those tv shows, I never watch something that I know is going to work against my desire to be free from fear.

bernthis said...

1. your daughter is gorgeous. 2. my girl started a new school where she has to wear a uniform and it's FANTASTIC! I'm so happy she is there and she is too even though she is repeating first grade. (it's a long story) but I'm thrilled and I know she will really thrive in this place.

Jill said...

Yay, so happy for you that you made a decision you're happy with! For now! She is adorable. Love the photo with the kiddos and dog. Be still my beating heart... xxx

Lynn from For Love or Funny said...

I'm so glad that you're feeling better. Kids are amazingly resilient, aren't they?

I made the mistake of watching Hoarders for the first time yesterday, and I was transfixed. Haven't quite been able to get it out of my mind, either!

Ellen aka Ellie said...

1) She's beautiful.

2) It's amazing what "mob mentality" can do. With all those other kids dressed similarly (the same) it can't seem so bad.

3) Hoarders--a great catalyst that makes me clean closets...

Ellen aka Ellie said...

PS--I wish, as a teacher--we wore uniforms.

Heidi said...

What sweet photos! She's adorable.

I'm glad to hear you're doing better. I've been ridiculously obsessive over this past week and weekend with what teacher Annie is getting and then she's switched dance schools...did I make the wrong decisions...and on and on and on it goes. My brain hurts.

I'm with you on the glass of wine or my summer favorite has been vodka and lemonade. Yum.

Okay, the verification word? virrater.

Momastery said...

For the first time ever, I must disagree with my Anna.

Hoarders helps me.

Love, G

Anonymous said...

What a great first day of school picture. I'll have to file that away, that sign holding.

I'm glad you are feeling better. Maybe add a square of dark chocolate to that glass of wine?

jbhat

Christy said...

So glad you've made peace with your decision - for now! And so glad she's decided to rock the uniform rather than hate it. Great family photo with the pooch. So sweet. Soooo happy for you!

vawriter said...

Oh, yes, the raging hormone storm has settled, as they always do. You know it's either hormones or the Devil when you're that weepy for that long, right? Or maybe Satanic hormones? ;-)

Beautiful children and dog. Lovely life. Great Mommy, to care so much.

I made the mistake of watching the schizophrenic program last night, plus the Bipolar kids as well. It breaks my heart.

TwoWishes Tara said...

Your children are adorable. And I want a plaid skirt like that for myself!

Congrats on making the big decision. (I did send a small prayer your way.) Surely it will go well -- every school situation seems to have its ups and downs, regardless of where we attend. Hopefully your process will be a bit like mine when I stopped breastfeeding -- many days of weeping, agonizing torment, but followed a few weeks later by a moment where I stopped, looked back, and wondered "Why on earth did that seem like such a big deal at the time??!?" Best wishes for a wonderful school year to you all!