Friday, May 22, 2009

In the Blink of a (Red) Eye


Have you ever seen one of those TV shows where you get an inner monologue of what’s going on inside a person’s mind? I think this is highly unrealistic, because I KNOW there’s a heck of a lot more going on in the average person’s mind than just a random thought or two. At least this is true of my own mind at any given moment.

The running commentary in my head ranges from the mundane to the wacky to the outrageous, and I am glad it stays private. It could be a personal pep talk, a petty gripe, or an irrational fear depending on the second. If I tried to share this info with you, you would either die of boredom, think I’m crazy, or both.

I can be driving in the car, looking out the window, and I’ll go from, “Whoa, I didn’t know they even made pants like that anymore,” to thinking about pantiliners or my bra, wondering why people call Alzheimer’s “Al-timers” or “Old-Timers,” feeling lonely—or itchy—or witchy, wondering what a shmoo is, or pondering my faith all in the time it takes to blink.

The good news is that women are known for being great multi-taskers. Grocery lists during intimate moments anyone? Yeah, NEVER at this house either, but you know what I mean.

We also have pretty good filters, preventing us from indulging in TMI, except occasionally in the blog world. A blog can be a great place for a brain dump, now and then, and the sharing of stuff you wouldn’t feel comfortable bringing up in the line at Target. What I like about blogs, however, is not hearing every little thought that goes through someone’s mind, or happens in her day, but knowing what she thinks about it, and what significance it has to her.

For instance, I could tell you that in the above picture, one of my eyes is killing me because I inadvertently left a tiny sliver of Irish Spring under one fingernail after my shower And in the middle of my kids' music concert I touched my eye, thereby lodging said sliver in it. Then, to avoid screaming in pain and disrupting the concert I ran out of the room and began flushing it with water in the bathroom sink. And when I got back I had to sit with my head in my hands for the duration of the concert. And then I looked like a red-eyed freak as I avoided the sweet lady who had called me to help her with the post-concert reception, but whom I never called back because I'm a loser. And the whole time I was extra tired anyway because I'd just started my period....


You get the picture, so I won't go on.


God is the only one who is privy to everything going on in our lives and to our unfiltered thoughts. Fortunately, He’s big enough to handle them.

If you are still awake reading this, I’d like to apologize for the times I veer (and will continue to veer) toward the side of TMI.

Let me just say, tip of the iceberg, baby.

14 comments:

Lynn Kellan said...

Hey, at least your eyeball smelled like a fresh Irish meadow!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

This is one reason that I find things like yoga very challenging. The instructor says that you should clear your mind and think about your breathing, while I am making mental notes to remember to pick up diapers on the way home. There is no mind clearing in my world.

Gretchen said...

Whoa, how in the world can you remember all that stuff about your eye? Do you have that much detail in every memory? I kinda remember the big stuff and forget the details. I rely on other people to fill the gaps for me.

See, I'm already getting old-timers.

Chrisy said...

I'm not big on TMI on the blog, but I have friends who I let it all hang out with. Feels self indulgent sometimes, but I like it!

Your poor eye... Ouch!

2 Brits, 2 Yanks, 2 Dogs said...

Sometimes I wonder where my inner thoughts come from because they bounce around so much. Like how do you go from pantliners to what you are having for dinner tonight! Weird!

Shana said...

I'm with Kate. When i do Yoga, I spend good percentage of the time thinking "I HAVE CRAP TO DO! BREATHE? WHAT?"

But sometimes I do take the multitasking thing too far. For instance, I've developed the very bad habit of not being able to just go to the bathroom. I need to take the mail, or the grocery list, or whatever, because sitting on the commode just seems like too much wasted time.

And there's your dose of TMI. You're welcome.

Vodka Mom said...

I am SO with you on the whole rambling in my brain thing.

That is ONE thing that my blog has helped with. Many of those ramblings go down on "paper" and then my brain is unclogged. so to speak.


xox

Shawn said...

The way you think is also how I talk...so imagine how disconcerting that can be to people. And I, basically, carry on several conversations with myself---all day long. All while I am multi-tasking.

ADHD, anyone?

Heidi said...

Love this. I always have a zillion thoughts going through my head. The only way I can shut that off is to watch TV or immerse myself in a book. So, guess what I end up doing a lot of?

anymommy said...

Your commentary on the picture is perfect - too bad I don't sit down and do that with every picture I take. What a great record that would be - forget scrapbooking, you'd have a whole autobiography.

Christy said...

I think about this too -- when I'm driving I look at the person next to me in traffic and wonder what is going inside their brain. More often, I wonder what's going in my husband's brain and in my daughter's. How I would love to have that super power, if only for a little while.

EatPlayLove said...

Yoga is the only time I don't have a million thoughts racing through my head. I so feel you!

susiesoleil said...

I am so glad I found you, you made me laugh out loud and even have to wipe a tear away(no soap involved). I identified with just about everything you said. Thanks for taking the time to have your blog, it's a treat to read.

susiesoleil said...

Can you tell that I am such a novice on all things computer related....I think I just posted twice( 'cause I didn't think the first one went through). Anyway,I had such a good time reading here,you deserve several compliments....thanks for the chuckles