Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Old Painting to Cool Chalkboard


I found a huge (4 foot by 3 foot) painting in someone's trash. After determining that it was a "Genuine Reproduction" as it said on the back, and realizing it reeked of cigarette smoke, I had to have it!

I'd been looking for a big frame to turn into a chalkboard.

Sorry this isn't smell-a-vision, but trust me on the smoke thing. I left this on my carport for 2 months to air it out, and to arouse suspicion among my admiring neighbors that I had, indeed, become a hoarder.

Tom popped the painting out of the frame for me and I threw it away, as it was the smokiest part. Then my neighbor took IT out of MY trash...Circle of Life, I suppose.






I cleaned the frame, and spray painted it Winter Gray. It was all I could do NOT to paint it my beloved Heirloom White. I felt a little unfaithful.
Next, I glazed the heck out of it using black glaze and an old towel. I think I may have overdone it, but it took about 5 minutes and was oh-so-fun!

Then I went to Home Depot and bought a $4 piece of MDF. They cut it for me for free.

I spray painted it with chalkboard paint, then glued the MDF into the frame using Liquid Nails.

Here it is, above the fireplace:



I'd like to enjoy it a while, then try to sell it on Craigslist.

14 comments:

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Cute!

Kristina P. said...

How is everyone so clever! I would never think of doing something like that.

Brenda Susan said...

wow, you are just so very clever! love it!

aliciamarie911 said...

Wow! That's such a great idea. I wish I could think of something like that. I would love to have something like that around my house, but I hate the sound of chalk on a chalk board. :(

M. said...

Talk to me before Craig! You did a great job, better then mine!

Cat@BudgetBlonde.com said...

Ohhhhhh what a good trash find!!!!!!

L said...

I love it!!

emily said...

It turned out great! Love how your neighbor grabbed the painting from your trash!

Jill said...

OMG - you are SO creative. What I wouldn't do to have just an ounce of your eye ... LOVE the gray too!

Simple Daisy said...

Love it!!!!

Lauren @ 31diy said...

That's really pretty! I can't believe you found it in someone's trash. Haha! I haven't had that kind of luck yet.

Christina said...

ooooh so cute & thrifty! I really like how the color of the frame turned out...beautiful! :)

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"!! :)

Christina said...

I featured this on my blog today...please grab a "featured" button! Thanks for the inspiration!! :)

Heidi said...

Love this. You're so freakin' handy and have such good taste.