Monday, March 7, 2011

Monday Musings

So much to tell you, I don't know where to start.

I am now the owner of skinny jeans, oh yes I am. You may remember my attempt to pretend that my other jeans were skinny, and shove them into boots, but these are the real deal. My cheap self found some on sale at Target for $6.24, and I didn't pass them up even though they were a few sizes too small and smelled strangely like chemicals.

Even though I have to grease myself down to get into them and use a pair of pliers to hike them up a la my Gloria Vanderbilts circa 1983, my 9 year old suddenly thinks I'm cool! I took her out for pizza, and when an adorable young man said hi to me, I said hi back. When Molly asked me who he was, I said, "I'm not sure. Maybe he's a former student." She said, "No, I just think he likes your skinny jeans." Hmmm. Is that kind of approbation worth getting a yeast infection? We'll see.

And in keeping with the fact that Tom and I are obviously teaching our kids to value what is important and true, we had this conversation about being a grandmother.

Molly: "I feel sorry for grandmothers."
Me: "Really? Why?"
Molly: "They can't wear skinny jeans and bikinis anymore. They only get to wear FLARES and fuzzy sweaters."

Alrighty then. For the record, although I now possess skinny jeans, let it be known that Molly has never seen me in a non-skirted bathing suit.

Shadow got a clean bill of health at the vet today, and despite eating cooking grease and several loaves of bread lately, she had managed to lose 3 lbs. The vet was happy. I wasn't so happy with:
1. driving around with a stool sample in the car
2. Paying $475 for well-dog care. We just canceled our $400 pool membership to save money, so while we're inside watching too much tv this summer, I'll just remember to be grateful that Shadow is worm-free.

I spent Friday night staying awake at a church lock-in for 5th and 6th graders. 107 of them. The good news is that despite staying awake sitting in a chair all night (he was afraid if he unfurled his sleeping bag he'd doze off,) Jake survived the next day without any colossal drama like last year. We wisely cancelled an all-day boy scout outing and basketball game, but he still had to muddle through baseball practice and neighborhood interactions. Things may have started to unravel around 6 pm the next day, but we think we did pretty well.

Speaking of drama, when I dropped Jake off at school today he was about to cry. Not only was he debuting a new haircut, he was without his security blanket-- a navy blue sweatshirt. One parenting expert has written about how kids LOVE LOVE LOVE hooded sweatshirts, and Jake is no exception. So, having managed to misplace 2 navy sweatshirts in one weekend, and having no winter coat (don't judge-- why buy a coat when he's just going to wear the sweatshirt?) he went to school in a gray wool thrift-store coat I found in the closet. Should be an itching good time. Sorry, teach. The upside? Tom located one of the navy sweatshirts a few minutes ago, frozen solid in the neighbor's back yard.

In other news:

Almost all of our Girl Scout cookies have been delivered. We are about $23 short, which considering we had to collect $700, doesn't seem so bad. I love how helping my daughter earn her "Cookie CEO" patch, which you know I'll never get around to sewing on, has challenged my math skills, used up a lot of gas and postage, and made getting into my skinny jeans that much more of a challenge. In honor of Girl Scouting, we bought a tub of Thin Mint ice cream yesterday. Like.

Well, there's always more to share, but if you have made it this far, you may be yearning for your freedom right about now, so I'll just say I hope you have a fabulous Monday!

I'm heading to a chi-chi fabric store, so here's my question: sweatpants or skinny jeans?

18 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I have been so depressed over the fact I don't know anyone who sells GS cookies, nor had I seen them in front of Walmart.

But an angel from heaven sent me the link to the site that tells you where the GS booths will be. Yay!

Jill said...

You CRACK me UP!!!

I have been on the hunt for a comfy pair of skinny jeans for the past few weeks, and I have yet to find any that I'm willing to wear out of the store. Maybe I'm more grandma like than I realize ... flare jeans are my favorite!!!

Hooray for GS cookie sales being over, eh? I'm just about done with having the temptation in my house!

Brenda Susan said...

Great post. Congrats on the skinny jeans! Since i already did the skinny jeans/pegged jeans the first time around I am happy to sit this one out!

Christy said...

I'd say go with the skinny jeans! I got some super comfy ones at Loft last year. You are seriously funny Anna. Seriously!

Ellen aka Ellie said...

My son's scout patches were iron on...Of course, I didn't learn that until I sewed at least 15 of them on his vest. (they got patches for EVERYTHING--even sneezing...

Anonymous said...

Pictures of the jeans, please!

I love your family. And my kiddo started crying the other day when we mentioned that he was starting to outgrow his hoody. Giant tears! He actually curled up in my lap until he calmed down.

jbhat

katie said...

you are too funny and SKINNY JEANS for sure! :)

Heidi said...

I just enjoy you so much. Your daughter seems to take after you in the funny. Flares and fuzzy sweaters...nice!

Congrats on the skinny jeans!

purejoy said...

gah. memories of sewing patches on… it's the thing of nightmares. pretty sure it's the reason she quit.
would love a girl scout cookie fix about now, but if i do, skinny jeans will never happen. i'd settle for relaxed fit! sigh. one of these days.

Nichole@40daysof said...

skinny jeans :) Hope you find some great fabric!

for a different kind of girl said...

Kudos on the skinny jeans! I recently fit into a smaller pair of jeans I've had tucked in a drawer for a long time. A LONG time. I'm willing to deal with some potential yeast infection just to enjoy this time in history!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

How dare you not post a picture of the skinny jeans. That's just wrong. The "skirted bathing suit" made me laugh. And yet again - I'd like to thank you for validating my resistance to "investing" in a pet.

vawriter said...

You make me snort Diet Coke through my nose, Anna.

Brill.

TwoWishes Tara said...

Wait, Thin Mint ice cream? How do I not know about this???!? Where does one find such a wonder??!?

Paula said...

Funny funny! I just put on my skinny jeans so I can wear my wellies tonight - love them for that. I'm living the boy side of your life - frozen hoodie and all. I so miss not having a girl scout - loved girl scouts. The Boy Scouts have this thing called Badge Magic - just peel, iron and throw in the dryer and they stay on for years. Magic!

Vodka Mom said...

I adore my skinny jeans.

AND my spanx.

Deidra said...

Oh, you are an inspiration!

Pictures, please? Maybe a before and after, with the old jeans stuffed in your boots and the new and true skinny jeans?

April Hilland, Teacher-Librarian said...

Not skinny jeans OR sweatpants. I say JEGGINGS! Heck yeah! $10.00 at Aeropostale. They look like skinny jeans but feel like sweats--not so baggy though : )