Friday, May 28, 2010

You Complete Me

A while ago I wrote about my kids' bathroom, formerly known as One of the World's Ugliest. Shall I refresh your memory?




How cute is this pic of the kids bidding farewell to their beloved green toilet? They said goodbye; I said good riddance.




What we came up with was a brand new bathroom with shiny chrome and porcelain fixtures, bead board walls, and a bright white shower with subway tiles going all the way up. The kids loved going from a single to a double sink. Wish Tom and I had two in our teeny tiny bathroom.

We also had the contractor make a little niche to be used now for sterling baby cups, later for Molly's "products," of which there will be many.


One thing was missing. The huge 60 inch mirror desperately needed framing. I thought of taking it down, but it was glued to our brand new drywall. I know a lot of people DIY when it comes to framing mirrors, but I knew Tom and I weren't up for that.

Instead, I contacted the great folks at Mirrormate for their opinion on which of their easy to use frames to purchase. Seeing the bead board and other old fashioned touches in my bathroom, the creator and founder of Mirrormate recommended Acadia White.


Before:





This made me a little nervous because while my bathroom is a little old fashioned, most of my recent decorating attempts have veered more modern. I mean, how could they know about my sexy new Crate and Barrel bench and a liberal use of zebra print?
I wondered, would the new frame be too frilly for me?

I took the plunge and ordered, and within just a few days, everything we needed came in the mail. Tom and I assembled and hung the Mirrormate frame directly on top of the existing mirror. It worked great!

I would say as far as marital home improvement projects go this one is rated:




1 eye roll


2 grumbles


1 smart ass remark



Not bad, considering what a change it made in our bathroom! Good measuring, a little glue and some teamwork is all you need.


Once it was up, I did feel as if the room was a sea of white, but when I re-hung our black frames and added a little black tray for toiletries, I thought it looked great.










What an easy, inexpensive way to change a room. Thanks, Mirrormate! You complete me.


There are tons of styles to choose from. Visit Mirrormate and check out the easy to follow assembly video. They seem to have had even more fun than Tom and I did. Nary an eyeroll in sight.

12 comments:

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I love it! Definitely completes the room.

Tracie said...

It's so pretty! I love your rating scale.

Gretchen said...

Oh Golly I can't believe you posted this. I was JUST thinking about doing this but I figured I'd have to go buy a frame from hobby lobby or something. I'm so happy! YOU COMPLETE ME!!! ha ha lol. I checked them out and the prices are really reasonable. I'm definitely doing it!

Stimey said...

It looks fantastic! I love the idea of putting the baby cups in there. I don't really know where to put mine.

We're redoing a bathroom too, but my husband is doing it himself. We're waaaay past you in grumbles, eye rolls, and smart ass remarks.

Nice job!

Christy said...

I think it looks awesome Anna! And I agree - the black frames and accessories prevent it from being a sea of white. Great job!!!

Nichole@40daysof said...

It looks great! I've looked at mirror mate before, and it's nice to hear a first hand account.

http://40daysof.wordpress.com/2010/06/01/the-back-porch-back-from-the-dead/

Unknown said...

You should enter this into the MirrorMate Rate My Makeover and Win Contest. If you win you can get up to $500! Just register for the forum at MirrorMateforum.com, then you can view the other makeovers up there, vote, submit yours, etc.!!!

Ann Imig said...

Well done!

Anonymous said...

I love it..ti evol I

jbhat

Holly said...

What a difference!! You did an amazing job!!! I too, loved the rating scale!!! Pretty mild for a project of that proportion!!

Ali said...

LOL we are both Potty Bloggers.

*sigh*

I LOVE the new bathroom!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE the kids saying goodbye to the toilet!

Deidra said...

Your "before" bathroom looks like my "now" bathroom, and your "after" looks like my dream bathroom. I'm clicking over to Mirrormate. I'll tell them you sent me!