Tuesday, May 18, 2010

It's the Little Things




So, while I'm really yearning to gut my kitchen, that's not an option right now.

I had to find a decorating project that would put a little spring in my step, but not set us back money-wise.

Last weekend I bought my first can of Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint. I know, I know, I'm a little late on this. It was hard to spurn my first love-- Heirloom White.

All of the traipsing up and downstairs taking care of sick kids meant I had many opportunities to look at 3 of these beauties in our upstairs hallway. Don't you love the green tarnished effect?




Tom took them down for me, I took the glass off, gave them one quick coat of oil rubbed bronze in the backyard, and had Tom hang them up. Easy Peasy.

It's not a dramatic change, but in a multi-level house, where these suckers sometimes hit me at eye level, it's a welcome one.

My photos, as usual, are terrible, but trust me on this. They turned out beautifully!





If you came to visit, you probably wouldn't even notice them now, and that's just what I hoped for.

10 comments:

Elisa @ What the Vita said...

Looks much more expensive - sooo much better! Why would anyone make these lights with that weird cheap gold color? Why? Who buys them? Other than builders, I mean.

Brenda Susan said...

I really love the change you did to those light fixtures! Much richer looking! You are so creative!

purejoy said...

i think that is a dramatic improvement over the gold! i love it!! looks so rich!

oh, and btw, for a moment of frivolity, i tagged you today. lame little questions, but it's fun (ish)
play along if you'd like… no worries if you don't

Brooke said...

I am also looking to make some improvements, do you think I could use that paint to spray myself a new couch for my family room, or a pool in the backyard?

Kate Coveny Hood said...

We have ceiling fixtures like this too. But someone painted ours white before we got here. If they were gold - I would consider your silver...

Amber said...

I also purchased my first can of ORB this past weekend. Since the blogging world keeps telling me it has the ability to make anything look better, I can't wait to use it!

Rebecca said...

That's a project that my husband would love! He's trying to change everything goldish into silver. You did a great job!

Nichole@40daysof said...

They look awesome! I'm not going to show my husband, because I went and bought new instead of thinking of spray paint for my stairway. Not to worry, I have about 10 more of those brass lights in my house that I can use your spray paint idea on!

TheLab said...

Oh my gosh, that is seriously AWESOME! I saw the second "before" photo and thought it was the after... and I said "yikes, that still doesn't look very good." I was shocked, it was soooo not like Anna. Then I scrolled and realized I am an IDIOT and that was NOT the after photo. The after photo is flippin' perfect. I'd actually purchase that lighting, it looks so good.

Christy said...

Very nice - and I just LOVE little projects like that! I can't wait to have time/energy/inclination to stuff like that around the house again!