Saturday, May 22, 2010

Martha, I Hardly Knew Ya

Just got my new Home Decorators Collection catalog. I love to look through all of the furniture in there that ranges from Mission style simplicity, to Rococo (!), to wacky pieces like the unforgettable "chair shaped like a hand." HDC fits the bill for inexpensive furniture in pretty much any style. All items need assembly, which helps keep prices down. I am more of a peruser than a buyer because I live in a house full of chairs and am trying to get rid of things, not add things, but I really like some of their items.

Imagine my surprise when I saw a lovely new collection on the cover by Martha Stewart Living! Now I know Martha has her upscale furniture line, and that she tried a line at Kmart, but this is yet another collection. There were some really cute items like this bedroom set:




And this side table comes in lovely colors plus an unfinished version you can paint yourself:




Her rugs are gorgeous, too.

This dresser is lovely, but at $799 plus shipping, doesn't that seem quite steep for something that comes Ikea-style flat in a box? Just imagine the arguments my husband and I could have trying to put THIS together:



Oh, and one more thing. This desk has some little vases on it that Martha has dubbed ...

"Menage a Trois Glass Bud Vases."

Really, Martha? In all of your infinite wisdom and experience, you couldn't come up with another way to describe them?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

Hehe...the vase name made me laugh. Don't sexual references make you want to just go out and BUY stuff? hmm...

Brenda Susan said...

Ha! You are so funny. I loved that dresser but the price is a bit much I agree. And yes, assembling furniture with a husband is probably the very toughest test of a marriage....and should probably be avoided at all cost!!

Elisa @ What the Vita said...

After one year of marriage, I've learned that I have to sit back and let him do all the work when assembling furniture. I don't like it, but I have to, because otherwise someone will eventually be thrown out of a second-story window.

Anonymous said...

Did the bed picture have the caption "Voulez vous couchez avec moi ce sois?" If not, she missed a fine opportunity to carry on the theme.

jbhat

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I wonder if she even knows... She has so many products - you have to wonder what her level of involvement is as the discount factor goes up. Either way - that's just weird!

Mikey Fuller said...

Shame on Martha...giggle giggle! Ironically, my grandmother has been dying her hair grey--or as close as possible, for the past few years, as she thinks her naturally dark-brown hair looks like she dyes it!

K A B L O O E Y said...

Thank you very much for a mental image that is going to come back to haunt my dreams -- nekkid Martha plus two. Yikers. Although I do like the paint color in that bedroom picture.

Christy said...

So strange - and I had the same thought Kate did - wonder if she knows! I have a feeling she does - she seems like the type to involved in every decision. Regardless - your post made me laugh and I always love your labels at the bottom!