Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sure Could Use A Little Good News Today




I have some exciting news to share with you!


I know I can be a little snarky and critical in my posts, and I tend to mention my bladder and feminine protection issues in excess. Today, however, I'd like to go in a different direction and share some of the great stories behind the $1827 in our Charity Water account! We have 56 days left to raise the rest of the $5,000 needed to build a well for a village in a developing nation.



Read the stories below and tell me if you think we'll make it:



My 11 year old nephew gave up all electronics during Lent. When Lent ended, he decided to give away something of great value to help others: his PlayStaytion 2 system and all his games. Which his Aunt Anna sold on Craig's list. And now that money is going to save lives on the other side of the world.


My neighbor, WIDOWED WITH TRIPLETS-- (yeah, you can read that twice,) donated furniture for me to sell for her on Craig's List. She loves antiques like I do, and she found herself scouring her house for treasures she no longer needed. Thanks, M!


My daughter, Molly, hosted a S'more's cookout on our street. She put out a cute wishing well for donations. Our neighbor's nanny put in $9.00-- fines collected from household members for leaving their shoes around the house. Inspired!







How cute is this sign she made? "Help!!! Pay atention to people! What if you were them?"





Jake and Molly each gave money out of their piggy banks which Tom agreed to triple.




A men's small group at our church committed to donating $20 each because ONE $20 DONATION provides one person with safe drinking water for $20 years.


There are so many other stories. Response has been inspiring from blog readers, neighbors, family, and friends. I am in awe of how people are DIGGING DEEP to make a huge difference in this world.




It's enough to make any lingering snark flee my life forever...


Except....


This weekend is the big Well-Raising Yard Sale my small group is having at my house. There is a profusion of crapola, er treasure, filling my carport (if you are local, feel free to add to it by Friday!)




Considering I hate waking up early on Saturdays, and despise the nickel and diming of yard sales, a wee bit of snark might come creeping back in. Which I'll be more than happy to share with you along with the amount of $ we make.






If you are interested in learning more about this project. Please visit our DONATION PAGE.

8 comments:

Kristina P. said...

This is so great, Anna. People are so generous.

Catsngrams said...

Oh Anna you are so wonderful. I love your blog bladder and all. I wish you luck with you sale and all. If I did not have my medical bills I would contribute. I will pray for you

Deidra said...

You will definitely reach your goal! Definitely! I'll be praying for your yard sale!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Of course I'm reading this late... I should have brought over my BAGS of kids clothes that I keep saying that I'll sell at the mothers of multiples consignment sales and just let you see what you could get for them.

Hmmm... That makes me think though. Let me see if I have anything Craig's List worthy in the house and I'll try that. If not, I'll just make a donation already!

katydidnot said...

My children and I would like to donate. I have contributed to them before, and have followed them on Twitter ever since Hugh Jackman gave them $100k for the best charity tweet.

Tell me how to do it so that it goes to your village. We want to help too. And have s'mores with you.

L said...

I am so excited about this project and have heard great things about Charity:Water and how well run it is. That is something very important to me. I will be making another donation since our dryer isn't broken after all - thanks Auntie!!

Cynthia said...

WOO HOOO!!! I love the stories! I can't wait to hear how the yard sale goes....
love ya!

Rachel Elizabeth said...

Loving this idea. I think I'll have to come up with some similar idea to host at my blog. I don't have nearly as many followers as you but I think generally speaking most people want to help others. I'll see if I have any extra in my paypal to donate.