Thursday, April 23, 2015

What Have We Done?

It's day 2 with the new puppy.

Tim, Margaret, Shadow and I are in the "What the heck have we done?"stage. Let's hope it passes quickly!

We do NOT like change, so it takes us a while to warm up to new situations.  Good thing Charlie is the CUTEST PUPPY EVER. He is playful, cuddly, and charming.

But...

The poo!

The pee!

The sleeping in our bed because we are too tired to crate train him, even though we want to/intend to.

The chewing on my shoe while my foot is in it.

For me the hardest part is waking up so early. Shadow and I had the whole "Let's go back to sleep thing" mastered. Getting up two hours earlier than usual means I'm extra crabby and extra hungry.

I've set up shop in the kitchen all day so Charlie can feel safe and contained. Funny how I am such a homebody, but when I can't go anywhere, I want to go somewhere.

Shadow has quickly gotten tired of Charlie sitting on her head, peeing on her bed, and my favorite: chewing on her toenails. Here's a pic of the toenail situation in action:

Do you like Shadow's, "I am not amused" face?

Shadow just wants to be left alone, and at this point has chosen to hide in the foyer on the other side of a baby gate. I think she just needs to give Charlie one big growl to let him know how she feels, but she's too sweet for that.

When Margaret and I were talking about our adjustment yesterday, it made me realize this is much like bringing a second child home from the hospital.

Remember this?

Your first child suddenly looks like a GIANT in comparison, and you wonder how he/she grew up overnight.

You are tired and you don't know the new baby well enough to know what makes him/her tick, which stresses you out.

Family routines are disrupted, and you sometimes wonder 1) If you have made a huge mistake 2) If you will possibly be able to love and care for the second one as much as the first 3) If the age gap is just too great for them to ever bond and play together 4) If you will ever leave the house again.

So that's where we are today, and my experience with mothering Jack and Margaret tells me that it will ALL work out.

Many, many more cute puppy pics to come!





21 comments:

Neighbors Foundation said...

Hang in there. This too shall pass.

One crazed mommy said...

Awwwww - what a precious baby!!! That face is absolutely adorable. I love the toenail biting picture...we used to have a Golden - and cats. When we got a kitten, it absolutely adored our Golden...however, he was not amused when she thought his tail was a play toy...hahaha! Every time he wagged it, she attacked. We have a photo of it with the same look as Shadow has in that picture. :) I bet in time Shadow and the pup will grow to be best friends. Hang in there in the meantime - those puppy days are rough, but worth it. :)

Anonymous said...

So cute but yes so hard!!! marsha@tubbslanefarm.com

Karen L. said...

He is really, really cute for sure! I assume y'all have plenty of chew toys for him to chew on (destroy)...haha. Love those cute puppies.

Julie said...

Yes, it's exactly like having a new baby! Just as painful & wonderful. Those pics are absolutely adorable! I am dying from the cuteness!

Anne Flournoy said...

You're a braver woman than I Anna. A FAR braver woman than I. GOOD LUCK. And yes, good thing he's so stinkin cute. Just what my husband used to say about the kids!

jodifur said...

That is the cutest puppy in the history of puppies.

Anonymous said...

That is the cutest puppy I have ever seen!!!
Meg

ella said...

That puppy is seriously cute, must.back.away.from.computer.

Signed,

Owner of four dogs who most certainly does NOT need another

Idena said...

Adorable puppy!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

He is just too cute and yes a puppy does take time but you know they are so worth it. I'm with you on the "I am such a homebody, but when I can't go anywhere, I want to go somewhere." Who knew Charlie would want to give mani/pedi's!!!! Enjoy......

Anonymous said...

He is soooooo cute! That must count for something, right?!

Alison said...

Aww, Charlie! He is adorable. Sorry you guys are not having an easy time, but like with bringing babies home, it gets easier!

Anonymous said...

Having a puppy is like having a newborn and a toddler rolled into one. We're fostering a puppy that will be a service dog and got her right before Christmas at the same time we had family in for the holidays. My husband and I gave each other a lot of "what have we done" looks the first month or so. Now, our pup has settled in and thankfully, sleeps through the night most nights. Enjoy Charlie and his cuteness!

katrynka said...

He is very cute!!

Couple suggestions: take padding out of crate. It is just something for him to destroy, as well as he can pee on it, it will soak it up, and he will think it's all good, so he will continue to pee in there. I've never had success with padding in dog crates, even older dogs will often chew when they do not chew anywhere else.

We brought crate in bedroom with us. Older dog already slept on his own bed in room with us, so that was long term plan. As long as he knew we were there, he did terrific in the crate!

Good luck:)

twingles said...

Hilarious post and pictures, especially shadow.

I remember when we got our puppy, I felt like we had just had our first baby. I've never had a dog before. Of course this era will pass and be just a memory soon enough. Enjoy the cuteness while it lasts.

Anonymous said...

He's as cute as can be! This was a good idea, newborn/toddler-esque-ness aside. Good luck to all of you!

love,
jbhat

Adrienne Hedger said...

Right there with you! I was working on a cartoon this weekend about this very subject. We got a dog (for the first time ever) in March. I'm just now starting to calm down!
;)

kecarr said...

I know that feeling all too well....but I can promise you, it Passes! In 3 years, we have had 3 puppies-2 are sisters that are 7mo apart. I have lots of great thoughts but, you will know everything you need! Hang in there or write another post if you want thoughts!!! Ps...nothing better than puppy breath~embrace it!

Anonymous said...

I made the mistake of getting a Lab puppy when my boys were 1 1/2, 3 1/2 and 5 1/2. It.was.a.nightmare!!! He pooped on the floor and my youngest son stepped in it and walked it through the entire house. I took them all on a walk and the dog decided that, halfway through, he was done walking so I had to push a stroller while carrying a dog and making sure my other two weren't running amok. When he was a few weeks old he got an ear infection and kept us up for an entire night. I tried keeping him outside but he howled the entire time then saw my boys playing inside and jumped through the window, smashing it and sending me to urgent care with the boys who were covered in cuts and blood. Yet, for some reason, we kept him! Even through the time I couldn't get out of my car because he was anxiously waiting for me, paws on my door, head at the car window, with a dead possum hanging out of his mouth...a gift for me that he was so proud of. My boys loved him and I cried the night I got a text from my eldest, in his 20's by this time, letting me know our fur boy had passed away:( Enjoy!!!

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

@anonymous 4:36 am: Oh my goodness! I do NOT know what I would have done if Shadow brought me a possum!