Monday, September 1, 2014

Goings-on, Musings, and How to Help Launch Rare Bird

My goodness, last Wednesday was a big day with a feature article in The Washington Post's Style section! Considering I've read Style over my cereal almost every morning since I was 11, this was a surreal experience.

If you haven't had a chance to read it, HERE YOU GO.

And if the article brought you here for the first time, WELCOME to An Inch of Gray! So glad you are here!

I was honored to have a chance to talk about Rare Bird and grief with Washington Post writer Nora Krug. She spent a lot of time with me and was thorough and kind. The photographer was delightful, and she took a variety of photos.

I know they wanted the photos to match up with the somber nature of the story, but I would have loved for them to choose a few of us smiling.

For one thing, if someone who reads the article is in early grief, I want him or her to see a smile and think, "Maybe I'll smile again someday." I want people to see laughter and realize that you can laugh even in the hardest times. I know we do! And, if you have met me in person, you know that I love to laugh and I smile a lot, if only to keep my jowls at bay, or because I have a really bad case of "Angry Resting Face."

In all, the article did a wonderful job of introducing people to our story, and to the upcoming book, and I'm so grateful.

Thank to all of the readers who signed up for the Thunderclap campaign last week.

Below, I've listed some additional suggestions of how YOU can help launch Rare Bird: A Memoir of Loss and Love. Please do only what you feel comfortable with. I don't want this to be stressful for you, and if I find out my Aunt Betty is trying to figure out "The Twitter" for my sake, I'll feel terrible.

1) Pre-order the book online or through your local bookstore.

2) Share this video trailer with your friends :


3) "Like" the An Inch of Gray Facebook Page so you won't miss out on launch events/news.

4) If you are on Goodreads, mark Rare Bird as "To Read"

5) Ask your local library and/or church to order the book.

6) Once you have read the book, PLEASE leave a review on Amazon and/or Goodreads.

7) Read the book with your book club, Sunday School, or grief group (Discussion guide is coming) soon)

8) Hold loosely to your copy of Rare Bird-- keep an eye open for opportunities to give it away to someone who would benefit from it.

9) Let me know if your organization would like to learn about Rare Bird or have me come speak.

10) If you refer to Rare Bird on Social Media, use the hastag #rarebird (BTW, my twitter handle is @aninchofgray)

Thank you so much for your help!

You make me feel smiley:

28 comments:

IrishRN07 said...

So excited for this launch! My mom is going to review the book for Haven of Northern Virginia, the local grief support non-profit organization she's been volunteering at since way back when. I'm sure it will be a valuable addition to their list of resources.
xoxo
Maureen H.

Jenn Marshall said...

LOVE the selfie! You are gorgeous, Anna, inside and out. I'm re-reading Rare Bird and am captivated by your writing again. Looking forward ot helping Rare Bird soar like I know it will. xoxo

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Excellent post! I remember when our neighbors son passed away and it warmed my heart several months later when I heard her on the phone in her backyard laughing. I haven't experienced it myself but I embraced the fact, which comforted me, that there will laughter again. I will be posting and sharing your book, the article and the video.

EatPlayLove said...

Anna, I can't wait to have Rare Bird in my hands! All the best with the launch and thanks for sharing the article link. Hugs.

Alison said...

You have the most amazing smile. And I'm so excited for Rare Bird's launch!

Marinka said...

I love seeing you smiley, Anna! xo

Anonymous said...

I thought it was a fine story. As is true for any one article, it didn't capture everything that blog readers (feel we) know about your life. So I hope it does introduce many new readers to this space.

"The Twitter" cracked me up! For my mom, it's still "That Internet."

Meg said...

Great article. Good luck with the launch and hugs for the upcoming crapiversary.

Steph said...

Just pre-ordered Rare Bird. Wishing you all the best!

www.robinbotie.com said...

Thanks to that article I have found you. I am so looking forward to reading your book. I feel like I've found a sister. Cheers!
From Robin at robinbotie.com, my website about re-inventing one's life and finding joy after loss.

Norma said...

It's been pre-ordered for weeks :)

Sharon Thurlby said...

Just read the Washington Post article featuring your story. Very much looking forward to reading your book. Am inspired by people who use the crosses they bear to help others. After all, isnt that what this human condition we call "life" all about? For years Ive considered writing my own book about raising 5 ADD kids. I enjoy writing and am told I have "a gift", however, have no formal experience. Any suggestions on how to find success with that?

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

@Sharon-- I say Go For It! A blog was a great way to get myself writing every day or so, and I immediately found how much I enjoyed it. I wonder if you would like to start a blog? :)

joyfulchallenge said...

continually inspired by you, dear friend. Love #8 especially. hugs...

bonzo said...

Happy to say that my pre-order has just been placed. Sending hugs to you, Anna, and standing in constant awe of you. xoxo, bonzo

NancyS said...

as always your words are so true. i also think a photo of you smiling would have benefited the article. i will order Rare Bird and though I know it will be difficult to read and bring back memories of our family's loss and grief journey, i also know your words will bring insight ... as they always do. i will also share the link on my FB page. i love how you said to hold on to your copy of the book "loosely" - so great. what a gift it will be for so many in the early ...or late ... days of paralyzing grief. HOPE. Peace

Suburban Correspondent said...

Looking forward to reading it, although I do wish it was available in a friendly paperback version (hardcover never seems as comfy to read, if that makes any sense).

My Inner Chick said...

--Can't wait to read Rare Bird. You are an inspiration. xx

ella said...

Pre-ordered my copy yesterday. Bless you and your sweet family. xoxo

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to get my copy of Rare Bird! I think about Jack, Margaret, Tim and you all the time - I always think of Jack when I see birds - beautiful and free. As always, sending love and appreciation from San Luis Obispo, CA.

Alexandra said...

You are so organized with your book launch and I am learning so much from you. I know you're busy with your book coming out, but maybe, in a few months, (ha!) you can write up a How To b/c you've done this seamlessly. I appreciate your point by point items on how we can help. I am doing a review, a giveaway, and donating a copy to our library. I'm also sending a copy to a mom who suddenly lost her 10 year old last soccer season. I know she is not doing well, and this book is so cathartic because you write of hope, grace, self forgiveness. Such an issue. She blames herself. You are helping people, Anna, I can't imagine a more beautiful outcome from the loss of Jack. xoxoxoxoxoxo SO MUCH LOVE TO YOU, and I am here for you, friend.

Anonymous said...

Will be at your book-signing Anna- can't wait to see you! Nancy L.

Unknown said...

I've just ordered one for me and one for my best friend. Can't wait for it to be released and then shipped to me in Sydney and her in Melbourne. It's headed Down Under. Thank you Anna.

Unknown said...

You're so beautiful Anna. And yes, you are a smiler. :-)

LauraBeth said...

Anna... Your book has been pre-ordered for ages now. The book signing date penned in my planner (old school paper) for ages as well... But not sure I'll be able to make it after all - Doug will be getting back from out of town that evening, and I haven't quite mastered the art of being in two places at one time. (D has a class in MD that evening.). Know that even if I don't make it in person, I will be with you in spirit and prayer.

You, Tim, and Margaret continue to be in our thoughts and prayers and heart...

With love from the other side of town...

Pamela Hammonds said...

I'm eager to read "Rare Bird" along with my neighbor, whose 19-year-old daughter was killed in March. Thank you for sharing your experience with others and helping us grieve.

Unknown said...

I downloaded your book today and can't wait to read it. I'm three months out from the loss of my son. He never got to see this world, and was born into Heaven at 5 months gestation. Im learning so much about grief, and how to deal with it head on and investigate it. I have been reading your story since Momastery (Glennon) mentioned you last spring and I am in awe of you and your journey. I know none of us WANT to be here, but we can grow from it all the same. I write a lot about how and what I feel on my blog (notsoblandlife) and its so helpful to get it out into the world. So thank you, so much, for sharing your story and allowing us to journey through this with you. Loss is inevitable, and I am so thankful that there are people who can coach us through is, although I wish NONE of us had to:) xoxo, Tina PS - I'm putting your video up on my blog later tonight!

Lori Elliott said...

Anna,
Where can I find your book signing schedule? Your book is amazing and I want to come to a signing. I am 31, currently going through breast cancer. You book changed me! You are such an inspiration!
-Lori-