Monday, September 7, 2009

More than Enough




So I went to my favorite thrift store today because holiday Mondays mean 50% off everything. It took me 20 minutes to find a parking place, and once inside I couldn't navigate the aisles because of all the people. Now I'm not easily dissuaded when it comes to finding a bargain, nor am I at all squeamish-- all my clothes are used, and a lot of my furniture comes from the curb-- but I just wasn't up to it today.



Not enough carts, loud music, too many people jostling against each other, plus lots of coughs and sneezes. I felt like I might as well go ahead and inject myself with a case of the swine flu just to get it over with.



And for what? To load up on more clothes I may or may not get around to wearing, or another cute thing to paint and figure out where to put? Even after last month's yard sale and big thrift store donation, I still have too much stuff. When I saw the checkout lines snaking around the store, I put back the pants I'd found for Jake.

I left empty handed once I was able to squeeze my way to the door.




I could tell that for a lot of people, being at the store today was NOT about the thrill of the hunt, but instead about the necessity of clothing themselves and their kids. I hope today meant a great chance to find things they needed that will make their lives easier in the months to come. Perhaps what I left behind will be exactly what someone else needed today. Although knowing me, what I left behind was probably something like a 4 foot tall gold birdcage.





My shopping trip became a reminder to count my blessings. A bargain is fun, it's eco-friendly, and it helps my family financially, but it is not a necessity. Why not? Perhaps by virtue of where I was born, or a job, or education, but certainly not because of any great things Tom and I have or haven't done.


And for this I am grateful.



p.s. For those readers who are pray-ers, I'd appreciate prayers for my daughter as she starts a new school tomorrow for 3rd grade! Thanks!

16 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

sending the prayer.


And I'm off to the Goodwill.......

purejoy said...

praying for your daughter, and appreciating your heart for others. sweet. very sweet.

Beth said...

I'll be praying for your daughter.

Anonymous said...

Anna, I still so love you. And look forward to your blogs that remind me to go about life with thoughtfulness and thankfulness.

And, of course, prayers for your little ones. Adding prayers for you to be at peace with your decision.

LizO said...

What a nice way to look at things. I will have to remember that more often.

Unknown said...

I'll remember your daughter tomorrow. I know how she feels as my little granddaughter started a new school this year, too (also a 3rd grader). Because of her parents' divorce and moves, this is her 4th school in as many years.

Lynn said...

Oh! Third grade! Such a special year! I taught 3rd for ten years.
I enjoyed looking at your laundry turned office room!

L said...

what mgheadley said!

:)

Heidi said...

Sometimes the crowds are just too much. I've walked away from many a crowd thinking, no way. Just no way. I like your attitude about it all. :)

I hope everything goes very well for your daughter tomorrow!!

K A B L O O E Y said...

Fingers and toes crossed for your daughter. I'm not a pray-er, but I'm going to try to sleep this way, so that's got to be good for something. Maybe if her day is less than perfect, you can tell her about the poor crazy lady with the numb and twisty digits who was sending her good thoughts. Or not. A banquet of Hostess Cupcakes served after school might be better.

R said...

Love, love, love the phrase on the wall! Did you do it yourself?

Good wishes to your daughter and your whole family.

bernthis said...

I hear you. I've been thinking about that a lot lately and honestly, I just don't need more stuff. I am blessed with so much. It's family and friend that matter

Shawn said...

I haven't been to the thrift store for pleasure in quite some time----it is probably because I am always there trying to find things for costumes for my shows now, so it takes the fun out of it----sigh---I kind of miss that....

I'm sending happy waves for your daughter!

Christy said...

I'm sending your daughter prayers and positive thoughts today.

(I've never shopped at a goodwill or thrift store...but I have donated lots and lots of stuff to purple heart!!)

The Old Painted Cottage said...

Hi Anna, I wanted to stop by and thank you for commenting on my "before & after" home make-over on Design*Sponge. There's many photos they didn't include, along with more info about our remodel. I'd love for you to visit my blog to learn more: http://www.theoldpaintedcottage.blogspot.com/

Jennifer Grey
The Old Painted Cottage

Phoe said...

I love how you chose to look at the busy thrift store situation.

I overheard a mom saying to her son, "Let's go home and get lunch. I'm starving!" It occurred to me how many times I've said something very similar and I realized that I've never *actually* been starving. Not even close. Sadly, there are lot of people who have been and are, though. And that's when I stopped, thanked God for what I have, and prayed He'd bless those who are hungry.