Monday, February 16, 2009

No Photo Today

Sorry for the blog silence. I’ve been occupied with a little science experiment over here. About 10 days ago I got a medium-sized zit right in the middle of my cheek.

I’d like to believe my breakout days are over now that I’m pushing 40, but no such luck. Anyway, in the decades in which I’ve been dealing with zits, I have NEVER been able to just leave one alone. Sooooo, when this thing showed up in the middle of my face, I thought, “What the heck? Why not do what all the magazines advise, and just let nature run its course?”

No poking, no prodding and certainly no picking. I mean, I’m not looking to meet someone special, so no problems there. I work in a church, so I was hopeful people would be kind as my little buddy and I made the rounds.

So, I left it alone. For 10 days. It went on my big weekend trip with me (more details on that another day) and my sister said it was barely noticeable. Tom withheld all comment; I mean what’s the safe thing for a husband to say when his wife is sporting a whitehead for upwards of a week? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Good man.

I think the zit was relatively unobtrusive, but I did wonder if people knew that I knew it was there. I mean I’ve definitely had the secret urge to inform someone if there’s a zit on her face just ripe for the picking, as if she doesn’t realize it. But this time, I was the one w/ the elephant in the room, or on my face, that no one was talking about. The zit was on the other cheek, I suppose.

Anyway, after 10 days of delicate cleansing, toning, and absolutely leaving it alone, my zit showed no signs of budging. It was small, round and innocuous, but it wasn’t going anywhere.

Until this afternoon when I couldn’t take it one second longer. I mean, 10 days? 10 days! There are limits, people.

Now I’m having popper’s remorse.

What promised to be a quick little intervention deteriorated into major excavation. Relief did not come. There was blood. The left side of my face is swollen and red. Little lines of swollen-ness inch down toward my mouth. Bare Minerals ain’t covering this sucker up now. I wonder what Tom is going to say when he gets home.

If he’s lucky: nothing.


Gretchen said...

Oh, that is just TOO hilarious. I mean, I don't mean to laugh. It's just that you've hit a nerve. I mean, you've touched on something funny. I mean... well... we all get zits and you just described it in such a funny way!

(Try a dot of toothpaste. Paste, not gel. That will dry it up.)

Debbie said...

I've never been able to leave them alone either! I even forced my daughter to let me go after one on her face last year. She'll never trust me again.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

This still happens with me. And I'm always so annoyed with myself when I have to live with "the scab" after a week of living with the barely noticable blemish.

Sokphal said...

I feel your pain! I thought acne would leave me after graduating high school. No luck there. At a certain age you shouldn’t have to make trips to the dermatologist!

Carrie Thompson said...

omg. I almost peed my pants. Serisouly hilarious!

anymommy said...

I love this post! I'm totally a picker. Ten days is impressive restraint as far as I'm concerned.

EatPlayLove said...

wow, 10 days, I commend you. I can't go 24 hours.

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

I have successfully left a zit alone once. When it dried up, it still left a scar. Now I pop them and Clearasil them anyway.


Ash said...

You show incredible restraint, woman!! That thing would have been a mess on day one.

DonnaLinn said...

You are HILARIOUS! Thank you for your blog! You ROCK!