Monday, June 5, 2017

Before and After

On Friday, I was looking for an easy meal to make, so I pulled this recipe for Tortellini Soup out of my recipe binder. It's basically just a list of ingredients to dump together in a pot and bring to a boil.

My kind of cooking.



When I looked at the date, I was taken aback. My sister-in-law sent this to me one day before Jack's accident. At that point, I was gearing up for the new school year, planning quick meals I could make on busy weeknights of baseball, soccer, and scouts. I was wondering what it would be like to have a middle schooler in the house. On the bottom of the page, I'd scribbled a note about an upcoming field trip for Margaret's class. Nothing too exciting.

September 7-- mundane.

September 8-- shattered.

Oh how often there is a clear before and after in our lives! I remember looking through my mom's check register after she died. There she was paying bills and doing the routine tasks of life, until she wasn't.

Sometimes before and afters are positive. They can denote a marriage, a decision to take care of your health, a career change.

Other times, they represent the day the world came crashing down.

If there is a clear before and after in your life, due to death, illness, or a time someone harmed your body or your heart, I'm sending you love today.

After is different. After is often hard.

But after doesn't mean over.

Hugs.


18 comments:

Jessica said...

I thought maybe today I wouldn't cry. I thought wrong! Hugs back to you.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't mean over.....but somedays it feels over, some days one wants it to be over. Mundane is a lovely word. Thank you for your love filled hugs. From you they are golden. Grief waves high today in my after. Missing my son.

Anonymous said...

It doesn't mean over.....but somedays it feels over, some days one wants it to be over. Mundane is a lovely word. Thank you for your love filled hugs. From you they are golden. Grief waves high today in my after. Missing my son.

Kate from Chasing Rainbows said...

Such a simple, powerful message. And one I can relate to in more ways than one. I hope everyone who reads your post can remember your words... "after doesn't mean over." I think I would like that on a magnet.

Jessica said...

I thought maybe today I wouldn't cry. I thought wrong! Hugs back to you.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sending you LOVE today....((Hugs))
This brought me to tears. What a poignant point of "What a difference a day makes."

Mom24 said...

Beautiful. Thank you.

Angie said...

"After doesn't mean over." Love this. I remember a similar moment, as well, when I pulled out a receipt for a pair of shoe inserts my son had bought from the day before he died. Love and ((hugs)) to you, too, dear friend!

Fiona, Lilyfield Life said...

much love xxx

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Back at you, Anna. ♥

Anonymous said...

Today is my After. I saw your post first thing this morning in my email and am rereading it throughout the day. Thank you.

PinkieB said...

My day is is coming up fast . . . June 13th. 6:00 p.m. to be more or less exact.

Anonymous said...

Hugs to you too, dear Anna.

love,
jbhat

Anonymous said...

After doesn't mean over. Thank you for this. I'm living in my own hellish after, trying very hard to believe it isn't over. This is a good mantra to hold onto. So thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hugs to you too!

K xx

Amy M said...

Such a strange emotion / feeling to explain. Before/After. I remember thinking about this when my Mom passed. She had been sick but the week before she had driven THIS car to be an usher at Mass. SHE was driving this car and now she's gone. Always look forward to your posts and insights.

Suzanne said...

Beautifully said, thanks...

Suzanne said...

Beautifully said, thanks.