Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Heirlooms

Grandma's Blue Willow platter and a painting of our family sent by a blog reader

I have a brand new article up at Aleteia about how to manage heirlooms and keepsakes from loved ones.

My motto has always been, "The Most Important Things in Life Aren't Things," but so many objects do hold special meaning, especially when they belonged to a cherished loved one. Having them in our homes can bring us joy and comfort. Please check out the article and leave any strategies you may have for enjoying things passed down to you.

Special thanks to Denise Fleissner from Soulfuly Simple for her expert advice.

Grandma's saucer used as soap dish in powder room

Our gallery wall includes a baluster from my family's early 1900's house in WV


2 comments:

katrynka said...

Great article! I need to work on doing some things that you suggested!

Lilypad said...

You are such a wonderful writer, I enjoyed the article very much. I use a 1940's china saucer that belonged to my husband's aunt to hold my favorite earrings on a dresser top. I enjoy the colors and it reminds me what a lovely lady she was and how she welcomed me to the family when we first married. We are still settling in after buying our house almost 2 years ago, so I'm still finding spaces to display precious things. I'm very much a minimalist, so anything that isn't meaningful goes on to a new home where someone else can enjoy it. My parents haven't gotten rid of anything in 60 years, and I knew I didn't want to be like that.