Sunday, July 24, 2011

Fear Not

The kids were at summer camp last week. Outside in the blazing sun all day. With a heat index of 110. Sweating on top of nylon sleeping bags in screened-in "cabins" at night.

I prayed that they would have a safe, amazing, louse-free week and they did.

I figured Jake would enjoy it, because it's his 3rd year. He loves camp and says he feels closer to God there.

But if you remember Molly's... er... bumpy re-entry earlier this summer when she returned from a week with her cousins, you'll know that I was braced for a very tired girl with Linda-Blair-like tendencies. I wanted to tread lightly in case the whole summer camp thing was just too, too much.

Imagine our surprise and relief when, as soon as they got home, she and Jake were already talking about what they wanted to do at camp next summer. And dinner started with an unusual request from Molly, to lead the blessing of our meal. We held hands, and instead of moaning and munching through "God is great; God is good," Molly prayed a short, sincere prayer from the heart. Wow.

This morning she was up reading her Bible and highlighting passages that stood out to her.

Here's the thing: I don't think you are a "good Christian" for reading your Bible and a "bad Christian" for not. Truth be told, much of the time my Bible serves more as a bedside coaster than a life-line for me. Does that mean God loves me less? Absolutely not. I do know the life-giving, powerful words the Bible contains, but more often than not, I seek a million other forms of solace and counsel before turning to it.

So you can imagine how touched I was when she, of her own volition, started searching for key passages to guide her through life.

She said as she did this, the words "Isaiah 43" came to her. Now you know as well as I that Isaiah 43 could have ended up saying something about 2 donkeys costing x number of shekels, or something like that, but it didn't.

Here are the verses she felt guided to in Isaiah 43. For Molly, for me, and maybe for you:

"But now, this is what the Lord says-- he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: 'Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are mine.

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze."

And you know what she said after sharing this with me? "Mom, I'm so glad God led me to those encouraging verses, but it makes me nervous because I wonder if that means I'm going to go through a lot of hardship in life and REALLY need them to lean on."

I hear you, daughter, and I understand. You are your mom's little girl, all right.

24 comments:

Gretchen said...

What a very sweet girl you have there. See, you were doing it right all along, just like your own mom. Letting Molly do her thing, and being there for her when she was ready to stand tall and be the young woman God really made her to be.

So did you give her a Kindle to get the bible electronically? I'm confused as to the photo...

Unknown said...

That is awesome. Seeing our children develop their spirituality is more rewarding than just about anything else they do.

My husband says he thinks Isaiah had everything on 3x5 index cards and dropped them before composing his chapters.

Ellen aka Ellie said...

It's a rare thing for her to realize life may always challenge here. It's a huge thing for her to recognize God will always be with her.

Glennon said...

amazing.
hallelujah!

Anonymous said...

It is such a blessing when our children take on for themselves what we have been teaching, modeling and talking about. What a sweet little Molly you have!

Pamela said...

You and your family touch my heart. Her timing is perfect.

L said...

Please tell Margaret that Isaiah 43 is highlighted in my Bible, too - and that there is a song on the Prisoners of Hope CD that comes from this Psalm. LOVE IT! Also, show her how to download the Bible to her kindle and highlight/bookmark it there! :) If you haven't already....

L said...

I have to post again!! Just because the captcha is....

bless

:)

L said...

Oh my goodness! Next one is....

maker


I will stop now. I promise!

emily said...

What a sweet post!

Susie - Walking Butterfly said...

How wonderful! It is a joy to watch our kids move along their journey to their very own faith! Yay for summer camps!

PROYECTOS said...

Congratulation! Anna

Sophie said...

She is like my daughter, she loves to read verses. She memories every verse that she reads..it's rewarding to see our kids focusing in their spiritual life..nice post!

Cynthia said...

Wow!!

Deepa said...

Hi! This is my first time on your blog. I am deeply saddened by the news of your son's passing. But As I read on,I see that there is hope!Death isn't the end.
I'm thanking God right now that he gave your daughter this particular verse for a good reason. I hope your family will continue to draw strength from God during this time.
Praying for you.... for comfort.

Anonymous said...

Maybe this passage was given you for such a time as this, sweet girl.
Many prayers for your whole family. The hearts of my family ache for the hearts of yours.

Brenda said...

That is a promise God gave to your sweet daughter and to you. Cling to it during this incredible time of deep pain. Praying God sustains you and your family.

Christina from Ft. Thomas, Kentucky said...

Wow. May you find comfort and strength in God's Word during this time of sorrow and heartbreak. I am crying with you. You and your family will be in my prayers for a long time to come.

Babygirl said...

Wow..I'm a new follower, and this just gave me chills. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family as you continue to deal with this tremendous loss.

Rachel said...

Holy wow - did you remember this post since precious Jack left for heaven? Your blog was recommended to me by a friend, and wanting to know more about your family I randomly clicked on an older post...pretty powerful stuff, if you ask me.

Blessings in your new year.

Evelyn Louise said...

Holy crap...
I just "found" your blog today through Glennon's blog... well, really, through Glennon's post on facebook with a link to your blog.

Once I read the most recent post, I started to go backwards and find out what happened to Jack.

Then I got to 9/27 where you referenced this post. And all I could think as I read Margaret's Bible verses from Isaiah was, "Holy crap".

Your sister's words were profound and I believe them 100%, “I don’t believe God caused this to happen, but I believe He can redeem it.”

Thank you for sharing your grief. Who knows what other mother will be able to get through her own by going through yours with you.

I am praying for you and your family.

joyfulchallenge said...

goosebumps.

Heather said...

Your story has brought so many emotions to me in the short time I have been reading. This post renews my faith. I absolutely believe these are signs from God to guide and comfort your family throughout your lives. Thank you for your bravery in sharing your feelings. I deeply feel for all of you now and forever.

Dawn said...

Amazing.