Monday, May 18, 2009

The Suite Life




The above photo is of Molly’s bed.

Here’s Jake’s:



Which kid do you think is earning $1.00 a day to make Mom and Dad’s bed?

Yep. Bereft at the idea that he is broke and there are apparently more Legos in this world not yet residing in our house, Jake had to find money to feed his habit.

His birthday is almost 10 months away, and the kids don’t get an allowance, so things were not looking good. When he proposed making the bed for me, I said sure. Now I’m realizing that if he keeps this up all year I’ll be out $365!

I’ve got to say, he is a great bed maker. All 6 pillows plumped and lined up. Sheets tucked in, not just pulled up the way I usually do before I sneak out my side.

There is something to be said for being able to climb into a bed made my someone else. It feels decadent and luxurious. I get the same feeling when I eat a meal someone else has cooked.

I'm not sure how long this will last, but I’m really enjoying it. It’s kind of like being in a hotel but without having the whole blue light, body fluid heebie-jeebie thing going on-- or am I the only one who thinks about those things?

Anyway, I plan to enjoy this luxury while it lasts. Do you think I can get him to put chocolate on the pillows next week?

14 comments:

Shawn said...

What a great idea! I wish that I had someone to do that for me...

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I love it! Sadly - it's looking like I'll be the only neurotic bed maker in our family...

Lynn Kellan said...

He's terrific! So neat!

We give our kids $4 a week in allowance, and they put $1 in savings, $1 for church, and they get to keep $2 for spending. It's been a good thing; now they have their own money to spend when we go shopping, and they're beginning to understand money management.

Sweet Dreams!

L said...

Would candy on the pillow cost another buck?

Jerome said...

Didn't Kathie Lee get in trouble for this a couple of years ago? I'm just sayin' -

Sokphal said...

My mom works at the Marriott in DC--I'll see if they are hiring for housekeepers! :)

Christy said...

I totally think you can get him to put chocolates on the pillow for you next week. And I try ever so hard not to get grossed out by hotel beds. I just remove everything they don't wash and stash it all in the cupboard.

Did you get Jake's surfboard sheets from Garnet Hill? I've been drooling after some of their fun summer sheets for a while and am waiting for them to go on sale...but would love to know if they're really as soft and comfy as they look!

Chrisy said...

What a good boy! Lucky you.

I'm totally a "blue light, body fluid heebie-jeebie" kinda gal. I think I love you.

Keetha said...

That is so worth a dollar a day! Smart kid.

Gretchen said...

I don't know about the chocolate, but maybe he can fold the edge of your toilet paper into a little point. That's doable!

Brooke said...

Jake is going to make some woman very happy someday. I know that Justin must feel the same way you do each night, how wonderful it is to get into a bed made by someone else (I could count on one hand the number of times he has made the bed while we've been married).

I will begin now to train my children, thanks for the great idea...

Anonymous said...

Another blue-light, body fluid heebie jeebie type here!

He's smart - I hope he does keep it up for a year to show him how things can add up!

Too bad I'm not a neat person. Coulda been rollin' in the dough as a kid.

Debbie said...

I say that is money well spent. If he was near me, I'd pay him too!

Unknown said...

i too think about those things....
btw any meal be it a hot dog or a grilled steak tastes like heaven when my hands have not been the one preparing it!