Friday, September 19, 2008

Is this a problem?

My cousin told me that one of her most common memories from childhood is her mom’s back as she washed dishes in the sink. The implication was that kids, to a certain extent, just pretty much ran around and did their own thing in those days. I know that today we spend a lot more time with our kids—focusing, having quality time, micromanaging—than our moms did.


However, I’m pretty sure the computer is the new kitchen sink, at least in this house. I have 5 kids around me right now, playing happily as I peck at the keys. No eye contact takes place between us. Yes, they were away at school all day and I had loads of time by myself, but that doesn’t seem to be enough to pull me away…I just love-a the blog.


Do you ever ignore the people around you in order to write to the people "out there?"

7 comments:

Liz said...

Constantly. Hubby watches TV. I'm on the computer. Very little interaction. Sad!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I worry about this all the time! As I type away while my children play behind me...

Anonymous said...

Absolutely!! For the husband it's video games.
One day on a quiet drive home from the store, my ten year old said... "You know we would have 15 extra minutes of quality family time every day if Dad would turn of the PS"
I was very impressed with her eloquence! Despite our negligence she is very clever. I did point out that her calculations were an underestimate. And we agreed we would both be happier if we could get just 15 minutes more of him each day.

Gretchen said...

Yes, totally. Now I feel bad.

And, 5 kids??? Did you have triplets while I wasn't looking???

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way, but I tell my daughter I'm "working." Not a complete lie since I do technically work on my computer, but I'm in big trouble once she's able to figure out that I'm not editing blogs for a living....

(Oh, and thanks for stopping by my blog. My husband has had two great nights of sleep. Plus, NO MORE SNORING!!!!)

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Don't worry, Texan Mama, the other 4 kids weren't mine. All the more reason to ignore them, I think. Isn't it interesting how we can look productive at the computer, but if we sit in front of the tv we look like blobs?

I like the "working" line, Karen! I think that will work for me.

L said...

Have you been spying on me? My kids no longer buy the line about working, though. I've been called out on several occasions recently.