Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Carrots!


Andrew has been taking a bottle in the middle of the night for many months. As "the middle of the night" inched closer toward morning over the past few weeks, I came up with a "brilliant" way to get him off the bottle. If he wakes up after 5, instead of giving him a bottle and trying (usually fruitlessly) to get him to go back to sleep in bed with me (why won't he snuggle???), I'd just get up with him and start the day. That way, he would no longer associate waking up in the night with being given a bottle. Not sure what I'll do if he wakes at 4:58, so this plan may not be completely thought out.

The other kids didn't use bottles, so I have zero expertise in this area. I'll report back on how it goes, but for now let's just say we are oh so tired. I am a night owl, so a 5 a.m. wakeup call is particularly grueling.

Sleep deprivation (and grief brain, baby brain, and menopause brain) are taking a toll.

Tim and I were in the yard with Andrew yesterday. Tim mentioned having little luck cutting back our liriope using gardening shears.

I held up a finger in a Eureka-like gesture. With enthusiasm and certainty, I said, "I know what you can use! Carrots!!!!"

Ugh. Last I checked, scissors and carrots were not the same thing.

If you want to feel better about yourself, I'm hare all day. Ha! I just saw that typo. I'm leaving it.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ha! I love it. As I was reading the article, I thought you were going to say that you had decided to give Andrew a carrot instead of a bottle if he woke up at 5am, in the hopes that he would decide that waking up for a carrot just wasn't worth it. ha ha!

Unknown said...

So funny - mistaking carrots and scissors sounds like me every day.

Unknown said...

Carrots. Ha! Hope you get some sleep soon.

Anonymous said...

hahaha -- yesterday i wanted to heat up some cheese on a piece of bread (i'm a great cook) so i prepared it, set the microwave to 50 seconds, let it run down to zero and then opened the microwave -- nothing there. the microwave was empty. i felt seriously crazy and had no idea what had just happened. but apparently i had placed my elaborate dish back in the cabinet with the rest of the plates.

dian said...

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one!!!!!!