Monday, August 17, 2009

Don't Judge a Book...


I am so sick of the library. I tried to be virtuous and get the kids plenty of books to read this summer. What did I get in return? Fines. Fines. Fines.

You would think I would have learned my lesson after my $18.75 in fines in July, but did I? No. I proceeded to check out 4 more books that are now late. One is AWOL, and I fear it could be in CT, Cleveland, PA, or all manner of places we don’t actually live. I scoured the minivan without success.

Did the kids actually read any of these books? No. Jake just finished the Harry Potter series, which we own, and is into “The 39 Clues,” a new series that is virtually impossible to get at the library. Plus it comes with little playing cards, so you'll want your own set. I am purchasing them one by one. Yep, there will be 39 books in all. That’s almost $400 by the time he’s finished. Somewhere a marketing genius is laughing at me. At least Jake's reading.

And Molly? Hasn’t found a series to spark her interest, which is why I keep going back to the library for yet more options. Aargh. Even Blockbuster seems more forgiving of this mom’s feeble attempts to keep it together this summer.

Tom’s response when I told him we had more fees? “Now that’s just irresponsible.” Thanks, dear.
In 10 years of libraries and story times and keeping the kids quiet and tracking our books, we have had to pay for 2 items. One, when TOM left a cassette tape (yes, we're showing our age) in a beach house tape player and two, when Molly barfed on Amelia Bedelia. If you ask me, I'm doing pretty well.

See if I try to stimulate your kids’ brains in the summer again. It’s TiVo from here on out.

9 comments:

Hit 40 said...

I also get screwed with library fines returning things late. I was at half priced books the other day. Great deals!! If you have one in town, check it out.

Gretchen said...

OH I am so with you. My fines are at least twice that. I had to pay $20 plus $5 fees for a hard-back kids book that was 8 FRICKIN PAGES LONG. I think I left it in St. Louis or Florida.

And, I found a lost book recently but tried to return it to get my money back. They said, sorry it's been more than 6 months. (I can understand that) but then they said, UH, do you want to keep the book anyway? HELL YES I DO.. I PAID LIKE 28 BUCKS FOR IT!!!

I have a love/hate relationship with the library.

k a b l o o e y said...

Story of my life. That's why I stopped checking out movies from the library -- too expensive. You can wait a few years until there's a library amnesty day, but the guilt pile-on may be too great. I've been paying library fines since I was nine.

Anyone remember Bookman, the library cop on Seinfeld?

purejoy said...

poor amelia bedelia. she was (is) one of my favorites! maybe you can find a nice resale place and pick up some gently used one, or try alibris.com.

bernthis said...

I go the library a lot during hte school year and they really have so little to offer. It stinks b/c books are so expensive and yet reading is the best gift you can give a child

Oona Johnson said...

Tell him to take control of the library duties. Or give you money to buy everything...

Shana said...

Series that are hot with Carlie right now (age 10) are Nancy Drew Clue Crew (with young Nancy, not teen Nancy), Faith Girlz, Abby Hayes (sp), Candy Apple Club (or Gang or some such).

This is the first summer that my child has READ all summer long. If the girl is not dancing, she's got her nose in a book.

You need to relocate stat. Because here in Vancouver WA, our library has NO FINES. That's right. NO FINES. NO LATE FEES. Just a phone call asking you nicely to bring the book back.

k said...

I just stumbled onto your blog so I don't know what your daughter is into otherwise, but when I was roughly her age I couldn't get enough of the Anne of Green Gables books (and everything else by L. M. Montgomery). I also loved Madeline L'Engle's books and the Chronicles of Narnia.

I love summer reading...I've been good about getting things back to the library this summer, but it doesn't always happen when they'd like!

Anonymous said...

I love libraries!