Friday, December 5, 2008

Friday Confession


I am a huge dork. My non-bloggy friends have seen many examples of this in everyday life and need no more proof. For my bloggy friends, in case you have even a shred of doubt that I’m a dork, this post is for you.

Okay, I’ve been doing this blog thing for about 11 months. When I started writing mine, I had never even read a blog. I soon started reading and enjoying other people’s blogs. Not wanting to navigate away from them and lose track of my new friends forever, I decided to save some of them to my “favorites.”

This is before I knew anything about RSS feeds and the “Blogs I follow” function. Actually, I still don’t know what an RSS feed is, but I hear it’s kind of cool.

Anyway, for a good while I would click on my favorites to check out these awesome blogs. I got discouraged when I realized that these women, whose writing I admired, desired, and perhaps even coveted, WEREN’T POSTING ANYTHING NEW.

What was going on? Had they dared to let family time and jobs interfere with their blogging responsibilities? Why were they still talking about the swimming pool when they should have been writing about carpools and soccer games?

It took me a teeny bit of time (precise days, weeks or months are not necessary to divulge here) before I realized that when I saved to “favorites,” I was just saving a particular blog entry instead of the front page of a blog. I kept going back to the same old blog entries I'd read before.

I’m glad to know you are much more productive than I thought you were. I am glad your priorities are much more in line with where I thought they should be—entertaining me-- for instance. And I’m glad to erase any doubt you may have harbored about my immense dork-dom.


Oh, and see those band-aids on Tom's face in this picture, the one in which I'm working a Farrah Fawcett hairdo? He's a dork, too, but that story will have to wait for another day.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Now THAT is funny! Maybe I will see you back around again? :)

Unknown said...

Ha! That is hilarious! I used to do the "Favorites" thing too and I about wept with joy when I figured out what a feed reader was!

Gretchen said...

Girlfriend you HAVE to figure out the feed reader. And, RSS stands for "Really Simple " something, but not "something" just I don't know what.

And, I'm glad you addressed the band-aid issue. I kept looking at the picture, saying, "Well maybe he has some skin color malformation on his nose. Or maybe he always wears it?" hee hee

Kate Coveny Hood said...

That sounds like something I would do. In fact - I'm sure I have (but maybe not with ALL of my favorites).

Mags said...

LOL...too funny! I'm looking forward to reading your next dork story.

Debbie said...

I am going through posts I missed and this is funny! I used to save to favorites too and did the same thing on some of them. Makes me wonder what else I screw up on a daily basis.